Get inspired by the Urdd Eisteddfod to learn or improve your Welsh language skills.
Date: 27 May - 1 June 2019
Location: Cardiff Bay, Cardiff, CF10 5AL
What is the Urdd Eisteddfod?
It’s one of the largest youth touring festivals in Europe with over 90,000 visitors every year. The Urdd Eisteddfod celebrates Welsh culture, Welsh language, and the talent of children and young adults living in Wales. There’s something for everyone at the Eisteddfod, whether you can speak the language or not.
If the Eisteddfod inspires you and you want to learn Welsh or develop your Welsh language skills there’s plenty of opportunity for you:
Benefits of learning Welsh
- It can lead to job opportunities:
- Jobs advertised in Wales often ask for Welsh as essential or desirable. If you have Welsh language skills and the other candidates trying for a job don't then you're already one step ahead
- All public sector organisations in Wales have to provide Welsh language services so this makes Welsh-speaking employees an asset to companies
- Communicate with other Welsh language speakers:
- Children at school in Wales are learning Welsh, so if you are a parent you can communicate and help your children with their Welsh language studies
- Many communities in Wales have a strong Welsh speaking tradition, so learning and speaking Welsh can help you within your local community
- Experience Welsh language TV, radio and literature
Where to learn Welsh
There are many ways to start learning Welsh or improving your Welsh language skills:
- Find out about the courses available on Cymraeg
- Find your local Menter Iaith who encourage using Welsh language in communities
- Visit the official National Eisteddfod of Wales website
- Take a look at the Love4Language page on the S4C site
- A lot of Universities offer Welsh for adults courses. Search for different courses available on Courses in Wales
- Take a look at the Welsh language courses in Nant Gwrtheyrn
You might also like
Use our course search to find a course that's right for you. Includes part time courses, short courses and community learning.
Find out more about what’s involved in adult and community education and where to find courses.