Skip to main content
Welsh Government

Funding for students with learning difficulties and disabilities

Find information on some of the funding options available to support your next steps.

Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)

DSA supports study-related costs as a full-time undergraduate student. You may be able to apply for DSA to cover some of the extra costs you have because of mental health problems, long term illness or any other disability. You can get the allowance on top of other student finance. You won’t need to repay DSA. Find out more about Disabled Students’ Allowance on Student Finance Wales.

Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

PIP can help you financially with extra costs caused by long term ill-health or disability. A health professional will assess you to work out the level of help you can get. Claiming loans and grants to live and study does not usually affect PIP. Find out more about PIP and how to apply on

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a payment to help with living costs. You may be able to get it if you're on a low income, out of work or you cannot work. You could claim UC as a full-time student if you meet certain criteria. The amount of financial support you will receive will depend on your eligibility. Find out more information about Universal Credit and Universal Credit and students on

Welsh Government Learning Grant (Further Education)

This is an income-assessed grant of up to £1,500 if studying full-time or up to £750 if studying part-time. The grant aims to encourage more people to continue with their education. You can apply for this grant if you are aged 19 or over. Find out more about the Learning Grant on Student Finance Wales.

Education Maintenance Allowance (EMA)

EMA is for young people aged 16 to18, living in Wales, who want to continue their education after leaving school. If you’re eligible, you could get £40 a week, paid every two weeks. Find out more about the Education Maintenance Allowance on Student Finance Wales.

Funding at university

It’s important to make sure you’ve applied for the right funding at University. UCAS gives an overview of the scholarships, grants, and bursaries for disabled students. You can also find out more about the support on offer on students with physical or mental health conditions and learning differences.

You could get a tuition fee loan to cover your course cost. This loan will depend on your household income and will be paid back, with interest, once you've finished or left your course. Grants are also available to help you with living costs in university.

Find out more about tuition fee loans and grants on the what's available page on the Student Finance Wales site.

Information for parents and carers

Child Benefit when your child turns 16

You can get Child Benefit if you are responsible for bringing up a child who is under 16 or up to and including the age of 20 if they stay in approved education or training. You’ll need to inform the Child Benefit Office of this. Find out more about Child Benefit on

You may also like

Funding for college or 6th form

Funding options for 6th form and college, including Education Maintenance Allowance, Welsh Government Learning Grant and Financial Contingency Fund.

Employment Support

Find out about support to help you into work if you are disabled or have a health condition.