Skip to main content
Welsh Government

How Careers Wales can help

There are Careers Advisers linked to each school and college across Wales. Careers Advisers can provide impartial information, advice and guidance to young people to help them make plans for their future.

For young people with additional learning needs the Careers Adviser will provide individual careers guidance and group sessions as appropriate from Year 9 onwards. We recognise that each young person is different with their own needs and abilities and adapt our approach to meet the needs of each young person.

For young people with Statements of Special Educational Needs (SEN) who leave school to enter college or training the Careers Adviser will produce a Learning and Skills Plan.

What happens in a careers interview?

The adviser will meet with your child to help them to:

  • Think about what they are good at and like doing
  • Think about what they may need to work on
  • Think about their ideas for the future
  • Find out more about their options
  • Think about how they make decisions
  • Help them find out about the labour market
  • Identify the support they may need in the future
  • Put together an action plan

Careers Advisers will meet with your child several times from Year 9 onwards.

What practical support does Careers Wales offer?

The Careers Adviser will:

  • Attend transition review meetings wherever possible to provide information on post school options and answer questions
  • Work with teachers and other professionals to make sure that there is a smooth transition from school
  • Produce a Learning and Skills Plan that identifies the support your child will need when they move on from school
  • Produce funding applications for specialist colleges (where necessary)
  • Meet with you if you need more information or advice

They could also:

  • Arrange visits to colleges or training providers
  • Talk to colleges or training providers about support if required
  • Support at college interviews if required
  • Provide advice and support with applications
  • Signpost to other support services

What happens when my child leaves school?

Your child can still see a Careers Adviser if they need more help or information.

If your child is still in college there will an Adviser linked to the college.

If they go into other provision, they can contact us via email, text, phone or webchat. 

If you are still unsure and would like to talk to us, contact us for more help and support.

You might also like

Transition Planning

Find out more about what transition planning meetings are and how you can best prepare for them

Agencies that can support

Find out the many agencies that support young people with Additional Learning Needs (ALN) and their families.