Employer support can be a valuable way of enhancing your school’s careers and work-related experience programme.
What can employers offer?
Employers are keen to support schools with a range of activities including:
- Guest speakers to help relate specific subject areas to the world of work (in person or a webinar)
- Visits to employer premises
- Careers Carousel Days and Speed Networking days
- Specific workshops (For example, interview hints and tips or mock interviews)
What are the benefits of engaging with employers?
Research by the Education and Employers Taskforce shows that taking part in activities with employers:
- Changes the attitudes of pupils to education
- Influences pupils’ career plans and subject choices
- Motivates pupils to study harder
- Helps pupils to achieve better grades
Engaging with an employer can:
- Bring areas of the curriculum to life
- Help young people make the link between their lessons and world of work
- Motivate young people to aspire to future careers
- Raise awareness of the range of career opportunities available and how to access them
- Introduce young people to inspiring role models
How can I get involved?
The Education Business Exchange is a database of employers across Wales who are keen to work with schools.
Schools can search the Education Business Exchange (this link will take you to an external site) to find and request support from employers.
Selected employers will then be contacted by a Careers Wales Business Engagement Adviser who will support you with making contact and arrangements.
Email your regional Education Business Adviser.