Skip to main content
Welsh Government

Funding for students at university

There is a range of student funding to help you with the costs of studying and living at university.

While you are studying you will have two main costs:

  • Tuition fees
  • Living costs

If you live in Wales, you can apply to Student Finance Wales for a tuition fee loan and various funding to help with your living costs.

Find out more detail on who qualifies for student finance at Student Finance Wales.

Tuition Fee Loan

Tuition fees are charged by your university or college to cover the cost of your course per year. In Wales, tuition fees have been capped at £9,000 per year, but in other parts of the UK you could be charged up to £9,250 per year for a full-time undergraduate course.

Full and part-time students can apply to Student Finance Wales for a loan that will cover the university tuition fees.

Key things to know:

  • The amount of Tuition Fee Loan you get does not depend on your household income
  • The Tuition Fee Loan is usually paid directly to your university or college
  • Tuition Fee Loans must be repaid, including interest, but you will only start repaying this loan when you have finished your studies and you have started earning a salary

Find out more details about Tuition Fee Loans and how to apply at Student Finance Wales

Funding for living costs

Welsh students can also apply to Student Finance Wales for funding to help with costs such as food, rent, books and other costs when you are studying at university or college, and often living away from home.

Maintenance funding is made up of a combination of:

  • Maintenance Loan
  • Maintenance Grant

All eligible Welsh students will be able to apply for up to a maximum of £11,720 maintenance funding for the academic year 2023 to 2024. If you are studying in London and living away from home, you will be able to apply for up to a maximum of £14,635.

How much of your maintenance funding comes from either a grant or loan will depend on your household income and where you study and live.

For example:

If you are from a lower household income (£18,370 or less), you could qualify for a grant of £8,100 to go towards your living costs, with the remaining £3,620 being in the form of a loan.

You can find out how much grant and/or loan you could get based on your household income at Student Finance Wales.

Key things to know:

  • A Maintenance Loan must be repaid. A Maintenance Grant does not have to be repaid, unless you leave your course, or your circumstances change
  • All eligible Welsh students will qualify for a minimum Maintenance Grant of £1000, regardless of your household income
  • Student Finance Wales will pay your Maintenance Loan and Maintenance Grant directly into your bank account in 3 instalments, usually at the beginning of each term
  • Part-time students will receive similar support on a pro-rata basis based on the course’s intensity
  • You may need to provide evidence of your identity and to prove your household income
  • Maintenance Loans must be repaid, and you will be charged interest on your loan from the first day the money is paid into your bank until the loan is paid in full or cancelled

Extra support funding

You may also be able to apply for extra funding to support you with costs, if you have a disability or have caring responsibilities for children or an adult. Some of the extra support you may be able to apply for includes:

  • Disabled Students’ Allowance (DSA)
  • Students with children Childcare Grant
  • Students with children Parents’ Learning Allowance (PLA)
  • Adult Dependants’ Grant (ADG)

Key things to know about extra support funding:

  • You may need to apply for extra support funding separately to your main funding application
  • You may need to supply evidence that you qualify for any of the extra support funding available. Check what evidence is required at Student Finance Wales
  • Extra funding may be paid directly into your bank account or directly to the company providing your support service
  • You normally will not have to pay back extra support grants and allowances, but always check

Find out more about extra support funding from Student Finance Wales.

Find out more about Funding for students with learning difficulties and disabilities.

Scholarships and bursaries

Don't forget to check if there are any scholarships, bursaries, or other grants that you could apply for in addition to your student finance funding.

Key things to know:

  • Scholarships are usually offered for achievement or excellence in academic achievement, sports or music and other creative subjects
  • Bursaries and grants are usually based on low household income or your personal circumstances, for example, if you have a disability or are from a particular region or country
  • Scholarships and bursaries can be offered by universities, colleges, employers, or other organisations who support students
  • Grants are usually offered by charities, trusts and other organisations
  • Most scholarships, bursaries, and other grants do not need to be repaid, but always check

Check your university or college website for any scholarships or bursaries that you could apply for. Research charities, trusts and other organisations that may also offer scholarships, bursaries, or grants.

Find out more about scholarships, bursaries and grants at UCAS.

Social work, teaching and healthcare courses

Healthcare workers, teachers and social workers may be eligible to receive separate funding to support them studying their courses. You may be able to apply for this funding, even if you have already received funding for an undergraduate course that you have completed.

The funding can change from year to year, so it is important to check the official National organisations' websites or contact them directly for the most up to date details.

Find out more about Funding for social work, teaching and healthcare courses.

Funding for postgraduate students

There's financial support available for the following postgraduate courses:

  • A Master’s course
  • A Doctoral course
  • Initial Teacher Education

For more on post-graduate funding, go to the Student Finance Wales website.

What will I have to pay back?

Remember, grants do not have to be paid back but loans do. You will need to pay back:

  • Tuition Fee Loans
  • Maintenance Loans
  • Postgraduate Loans

Interest is added to your loan from the first day the money is paid into your bank account or to your university or college. It is important to consider this before you take out a Tuition Fee Loan and/or a Maintenance Loan.

When will I have to start paying back?

Most undergraduate students who start their course in the academic year 2023/24 will only start paying back their student loans when they have finished their studies and are earning an income of £524 a week or £2,274 a month or £27,295 a year (before tax and other deductions) or have left their course.

The income threshold changes each year and may be slightly different depending on when you started studying and what course you are studying.

Find out more about Repaying your student loan (

What is the Welsh student finance partial cancellation scheme?

If you are a full-time student who has taken a Maintenance Loan from Student Finance Wales you could get up to £1,500 cancelled off your Maintenance Loan when you start repaying. Make sure you take advantage of this, if you are eligible.

Find out more about the Welsh student finance partial cancellation scheme (

Find out more and apply

Application deadlines change each year, but for new students the deadline is usually early May.

You might also like

Funding for college or 6th form

Funding options for 6th form and college, including Education Maintenance Allowance, Welsh Government Learning Grant and Financial Contingency Fund.