You will be a big influence on your child's choices for the future.
Here are some of the ways that you can help
- Discuss their future career ideas and encourage them to think about all the options available
- Encourage them to develop their skills through education, hobbies, interests, work experience and part-time jobs
- Encourage them to make full use of the help available to them in school, college and from Careers Wales
- Make sure your knowledge is up to date. Use careerswales.gov.wales to find out about the job market, skills employers are looking for and employment trends
- Encourage them to use the My Future section of the website to help them find out more for themselves
- Encourage them to explore careers and options related videos on the My Future YouTube channel
- Prepare for, and attend, transition planning review meetings
- Support them to visit colleges or other provision that they may go on to from school. Letting them see different places will help them to decide
- Talk to the Careers Adviser if you want any more information
- Attend Careers Wales events or transition events put on at school
You might also like
Find out what options are available for your child when they leave school.
Find out more about what transition planning meetings are and how you can best prepare for them
Find out the many agencies that support young people with Additional Learning Needs (ALN) and their families.
Find out the support available from Careers Wales to help you and your child plan for the future.
Find out about the Additional Learning Needs and Education Tribunal Act Wales 2018 (ALNET).