It’s a challenging time to look for work, but there are lots of employers recruiting in Wales this autumn. Start your search for a new job here!
The job market in Wales has changed since the COVID-19 pandemic began. But there are still lots of jobs in Wales to apply for.
How has the job market changed?
At the start of the coronavirus pandemic, vacancies in areas like restaurants and tourism decreased and the focus shifted towards areas like health, care and supermarkets. Since the easing of some restrictions, demand for workers in sectors such as hospitality, beauty, housing and construction have seen growth. Job postings dropped sharply as the crisis took hold, but seemed to have recovered by the end of August 2020.
Some key facts:
There were more than 55,700 job postings across Wales in February 2020. This dropped to below 40,000 vacancies in May. There were 57,000 vacancies in August 2020, suggesting a bounce-back.
Top employers recruiting included recruitment agencies and the NHS.
The top job titles advertised in Wales during August were:
- Nurses 4,711
- Care workers and home carers 2,608
- Van Drivers 1,675
- Elementary Storage Occupations (warehouse workers etc.) 1,453
- Sales accounts and business development Managers 1,342
- Cleaners and domestics 1,304
- Medical Practitioners 1,202
- Other administrative occupations 1,163
- Programmers and software development professionals 1,079
- Sales and retail assistants 986
- Teaching assistants 944
- Primary and nursery education teaching professionals 939
Source: EMSI, 2020
Who's recruiting in Wales?
The links below take you to the websites of employers who are recruiting now.
Job vacancies will change over time, so check back regularly.
Other retail job sites:
Construction and Labouring
Construction companies also use Recruitment Agencies to advertise seasonal work
You will usually need to have a CSCS Health and Safety Card to work on construction sites.
Please note that the CSCS testing centres are open but it may take longer to sit a test due to social distancing measures.
the CSCS scheme have temporarily changed some scheme rules to help existing card holders:
- If you’re card expired in March 2020 or later, you might still be able to use it to get work for now, at your employers’ discretion
- You now have 12 months instead of 6 to renew an existing card after it expires
Please visit the CSCS website for the most up-to-date situation.
Some employers are advertising temporary Christmas jobs. A Christmas job is an ideal way to get that all-important work experience and may lead to something better.
You might also like
Find out what recruitment agencies do, where to find them, and and why it is worth registering.
Make your CV the best it can be. Find out what to include in your CV, view example CVs, and download our Guide to CV writing.
Write an application that gets you an interview. Get help on how to answer specific questions, and view examples.
Get help to prepare and practise interview questions, and find out what to expect in an interview.