It doesn’t matter what course you are doing. You need to know what options you have when you leave school or college.Think ahead. Plan ahead. Get ahead.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to create uncertainty. Keep checking the latest updates from:
- Welsh Government: Examination and assessment guidance 2020 to 2021
- Qualifications Wales
- Student Finance Wales
- College and university websites
There are two main questions to consider:
1. What type of job will suit me?
To find out what jobs could suit you, think about:
- Your priorities - what is most important to you? Is it:
- Job satisfaction?
- Work / life balance?
- Your location?
- How far you'll travel for work?
- Promotion prospects?
- Your likes and dislikes
- What you are good at (and what you are not so good at)
2. What career path can I take?
Some careers have very specific paths, and for others there are a variety of paths you could take. When deciding on the path for you consider:
- How long will it take?
- How much will it cost?
- Can I get the job I want through this path?
- Which path will suit the way I learn best? We all learn differently. Did you know there are 3 learning styles:
- Visual (learn best by seeing things)
- Auditory (learn best by hearing things)
- Kinaesthetic (learn best by doing things)
- You may learn in a combination of ways
Explore the options
Apprenticeships are a great way to gain qualifications while you work and earn a wage. Find out more about apprenticeships, search vacancies and more.
How to apply, including UCAS deadlines, attending open days, student finance and clearing.
Help with CVs, application forms, personal statements, interviews, finding jobs, approaching employers and more.
Pros and cons of self employment and where to get further support with setting up a business.
Find out if a gap year is for you and see our list of things to consider. See examples of how gap years are spent.
See how volunteering can increase your skills, experience and job opportunities at the same time as you help others.
Work experience is gaining experience of what working life is like. Find out how to get the work experience you need to get into the job you want.