There's more than one route your child could take from school to employment. Knowing about the different pathways will help you support them on their journey to a career they will enjoy.
With fewer than 5 GCSE's grade A* to C (or equivalent) your child could consider:
- Jobs Growth Wales+ training
- Foundation Apprenticeship (Level 2)
- College or 6th form - vocational courses like BTECs
- Getting a job
With at least 5 GCSE's grade A* to C (or equivalent) in addition to the options above, your child could also consider:
- College or 6th form - A Levels, BTEC, other Level 3 qualifications
- Apprenticeship (Level 3)
Your child could consider:
- College - foundation courses, BTECs and other vocational courses
- University - Higher Education
- Distance and online learning
- Higher level apprenticeship
- Degree apprenticeship
- Gap year
We're here to help
There are lots of possible routes to a successful career. We can help you and your child explore the best one for them.
We offer face-to-face support in careers centres, libraries, schools, colleges and community locations.
We can also work with you and your child via webchat, video call or telephone.
You might also like
Get tips for career conversations and career ideas linked to your child's skills, interests and favourite subjects.
Find out what a Careers Adviser does, the different ways we support your child and the details we hold about them.